Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Thrift Store Finds

     Today Henry and I took a trip to our local Goodwill  this morning. My initial reason for going was to find some framed artwork for our very bare walls and maybe some baskets for decluttering. Which I did find by the way but they are no where near as cool as the knitting related goodies. What I ended up finding was truly a knitter's bounty of stuff.

     First of all, let me just mention that I have been shopping at flea markets, thrift shops, antique malls and yard sales since I was a little girl. So I know how cutthroat the world of thrifting can be when more than one person eyes the same thing. I am not the type of person to maul someone over something or be rude. But if I had been thinking about buying something and someone rudely invaded my personal space to snatch it I would have to say something. Especially now with this whole "shabby chic" thing going on it is getting harder to find the good stuff at Goodwill and the Salvation Army. I really blame Pinterest and Etsy. Not that I begrudge anyone for upcycling or reusing vintage and antique items. I just want to see people be more polite when shopping at thrift shops. And maybe, I want first dibs on the pretty stuff. ;)

So getting back to my thrift store finds..


     I found two lovely store brand sweaters. The green fair isle is Liz Claiborne and the bright fair isle is Gap. The green sweater fits me well and even though it isn't quite the right color for my skintone I bought it so I could wear it around the house. The bright one is too small for me, though it is 100% lambswool so I am thinking of turning it into a pillow for my daughter's bedroom. I don't plan on felting it, but it is a possibility. And then my favorite finds are the two cable knit pieces of pottery. The plate is perfect for a sandwich or a tea cookie/sandwich platter. The creamer is so beautiful, it has to be part of a tea set. So I called the thrift shop and if they find anymore of it, they will hold it for me! How fantastic are they? My collection of knitwear/cabled pottery is growing at a much faster rate than I had ever thought possible.

     While we were in the housewares area Henry helped me find a toast rack that will be perfect for sorting mail in my office.( Okay, so he knocked over a few plastic tupperware things and voila! there was the toast rack! )  Etsy has tons of these toast racks for sale -- but I wasn't willing to pay upwards for $10 for one when I know I could eventually track one down for under $2. Luckily, Henry was with me or else I would have still been searching for one.

     Also, I have been gathering items out of our basement storage for my office ever since I decided that my office needed to be finished. Thankfully I still had my two antique lamps. ( The ones my husband thinks are a bit dated... lol ) The taller creme colored on belonged to my Nan-Nan ( Great Grandma ) and the short milk glass lamp belonged to my Grandma. Both lamps were eventually given to my Mom who gave them to me when Gwen and I moved into an apartment. The milk glass lamp is very special to me since it was my bedside lamp since I was four years old. I finally stripped off the glitter nail polish I had decorated it with back when I was a teenager. Yah know, when it was cool to be glitter-izing everything with nail polish.


     All of these off white/cream colored items will be in my office. Including the pom-poms. =D And yes, I made all of those. As some of you know I couldn't make a pom-pom if my life depended on it. Thank goodness for those awesome clover pom-pom makers.

Now, remember how I was thinking about painting my office walls? Guess what?! It is happening. 


     Even though my husband thinks that gray is not a color for an office -- I am moving forward with the middle gray. I sort of have his approval on the color. It is called Crucible from Valspar. The paint has been purchased at Lowe's, so there is no going back now! I am very excited to be painting and putting together a fun work space. The color scheme is going to be charcoal gray, black, white and pops of blue/teal/pink/chartreuse. Though again my husband keeps reminding me that with two desks in the office that my office will be more of a "shared" space. And within that gentle reminder he usually mentions that I need to reel in some of my color choices. He knows me well. I am not afraid of dark paint on walls or of bright colors in a home. I am happy to share the office with him like back in our townhouse. But, I will be treating the decorating as if the office is mine alone for the most part. And if anything, he should be happy I am sticking to a mostly neutral color palette! Hopefully he will be happy with what he sees at the end and will be pleased.

     Aside from the thrift store finds, pom-pom making and office decor... I've been spinning up some punis/rolags!



They spin so easily and the colors just make me incredibly happy. 



     Last night I finished plying the punis into this single ply yarn. Obviously I over filled my bobbin. But it was worth it because I spun up every last bit, skeined it, and soaked it. It is hanging over an air vent drying in my kitchen as we speak. Not sure what to do with it yet. Would be wrong it turn it into a pom-pom garland for my office? Not that I have given that idea a lot of thought or anything...

Happy Knitting, Thrifting and Spinning!
Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment