Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Office Space and Punis

     Every few months I get sick of the setup in my office. For some (valid!) reason or another I get antsy and have to change something. In total since moving into our home in June 2011, we have altered the setup nine times..which ends up being something like once every two months we have changed some aspect of the layout. 

     I am sure that the majority of my constant need to change my office is because I had been waiting on a crucial piece of my desk set. My husband and I have been slowly buying items for my office to improve my need for the "chaos" factor over proper organization.


     We started with replacing my old desk to this desk...



     And then when I realized that I didn't have enough surface for clipping coupons/doing crafty things we bought a second desk exactly like the one above. 

     I have my doubts on how we will configure my office and make it look nice with two desks. 

I mean, there seems to be plenty of room...



     But the crucial piece for my office is the hutch that goes with my desk. I feel that my office needs furniture to bring height into the room. And to be completely honest, I need more storage to wrangle the chaos into something that doesn't drive my husband insane when he uses my office. Yes, I love my husband enough to let him use my office. He doesn't add to the mess so I permit it. ;) So basically, I just need to have him build the hutch so I can slowly take some of the clutter off of my desk. And then have him build the second desk. Perhaps I can try to talk him into letting me paint my office. Not sure of the color, but it should be something that pops but isn't screaming at you. I am not entirely sure if my husband will go for that considering he is sort of an anti-paint person after he tried his hand at helping to paint Gwen's bedroom purple. Needless to say I do a better job at painting and he does a better job at building things. When all of the (possible) painting and building of stuff is done...

     Then I can figure out a layout that allows me to have a full view of the living room so I can see what mischief my kiddos are up to...




 So that I can get back to making more of these beauties...







     These are punis ( or a sub-style of rolags if you will ) I made using my hand cards and a knitting needle. The fiber is from The Unique Sheep's Coffee Club ( from 2010 I think.. ). I chose fiber over yarn for the club, and this is their take on gradient roving ( Sushi Roving ) in the colorway Dali. 

     How I came across this technique was on Instagram (IG) through Holly (IG: theturquoiseowl) of Turquoise Owl Fibers on etsy and Debi (IG: michiganspinning) of Michigan Spinning on etsy. They both post some of the most gorgeous pictures on Instagram of their punis. I was slowly starting to stalk them and discovered that they both make their punis for their etsy shops and that they both have lovely blogs. Seriously, they are awesome ladies and are always doing interesting stuff on IG. Eventually I inquired about their rolags/punis and Holly jumped in and shared with me that Debi has a video tutorial on her blog demonstrating the technique. 
     So I tested it out using some of my freshly washed ( and dried ) cormo fleece from MDS&W 2010. It was a revelation! At this point I was so excited that I raced around my house tracking down a bunch of fiber and glitzy stuff ( angelina and firestar! ). I got right to work using my Unique Sheep fiber and some firestar. I spent the entire evening making over 20 of these gorgeous punis. I ran out of the deeper orange by the time I hit punis #19..but that is fine with me. I'll just play around with some Wedgwood blue angelina and see what happens!


     Hopefully those of you spinners reading my blog grab a pair of hand cards, a knitting needle and get to work on making these punis-style rolags. Again Debi has a wonderful demo on her blog that is a major help to getting started. I cannot stress how fun ( and fast! ) these are to make. Special thanks to Holly and Debi for being such wonderful companions on IG and sharing their talents with us through their etsy shop. I absolutely adore them and cannot wait to see their next set of punis on IG!

Happy Knitting and Spinning!
Kate



No comments:

Post a Comment