Friday, March 2, 2012

Shetland Lace & Hap Shawl Obsession

     It is finally March! And you know what that means? We get to celebrate St.Patrick's Day! Many of my close friends and family know just how much I love this holiday. Being a product of the melting pot that is America my family tree has grown to include a large amount of heritage from Germany and a mixture from the UK. I am not aware of the exact percentages but regardless, I am proud of all the origins of my family.

     We do know that we've got a tiny amount of Irish blood in there, but again I am very proud of my mutt heritage! So why bring this up? Well, to be frank I married into a heavily Irish family that still has living relatives in Ireland. One day I hope to go there, but until that day I will just have to be happy with the photos that my brother-in-law took with his girlfriend in Ireland this past year.


     This is part of a pasture belonging to our relatives in Ireland, and it is one of my favorite photos from their trip. I'd like to imagine myself knitting under this tree on a Shetland Hap Shawl. Which brings this whole topic of Ireland to knitting. =D

     Recently, I have become obsessed with Hap Shawls and highly intrigued with Shetland Lace. I have discovered a whole new world of shawl knitting due to the traditional Shetland Lace and Hap Shawls/Blankets. Many new and popular designers have designed Hap Shawl inspired knits with a modern twist. All you have to do is type in "Shetland" or "Hap Shawl" under pattern search on Ravelry and you will be bombarded with pages and pages of shawls and blankets.

 
  Currently I am knitting the 3/4 Hap Shawl designed by Veera Valimaki. It is a well thought out design and I am loving it. The yarn I am using is Malabrigo Sock in the Indiecita (variegated green/purple/blue) and Abril (dark variegated purple) colorways. The Indiecita colorway has been in my stash a really long time. I bought it 3 years ago at Y2Knit during their Super Bowl Sunday Sale. =D My goal is to have my 3/4 Hap Shawl finished by St..Patrick's Day so I can wear it with Irish Pride. 


     Speaking of Ms.Valimaki, I absolutely adore all of her design work. It is modern, clean and timeless. She writes her patterns very clearly and is very active in her Ravelry Group. One of her patterns that I am stalking watching and waiting to debut is the That Time cardigan (see below).

     The cable details along the raglan with the YO increases look feminine without being too frilly. And the 3 sets of cables along the opening of the cardigan has just enough interest without being too busy. I have a feeling that this pattern will become very popular when it debuts. Also, wouldn't it look great in a happy shamrock green? =D





     One another note, this weekend is the first official Sit & Knit at the Dragonfly Fibers Studio! The first Sunday of every month Kate will be hosting the Sit & Knit from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm located at the Studio at 4101 Howard Avenue Kensington MD. Please know that if you do come you may park across the street in spaces marked "Sparrows Antiques" but not "Grant's Antiques". I'd hate to see someone get towed!

     If you are planning to attend... bring a project to work on, a snack to share ( optional ) and just to be safe a camping chair incase seating fills up quickly. =D Anyone is welcome to attend and I am sure Kate and her lovely Dragonfly Elves would happily sell you some yarn if you need some. I know I need another skein of Squishy Lace in Velvet Underground to knit a Meadowlark Vest by Amy Swenson.

Hope to see you at the Studio Sit & Knit!
Happy Knitting
Kate




P.S - Don't forget to RSVP for the Sit & Knit so we know how many people will be attending! You can RSVP on the event page of the Dragonfly Fibers Group.


No comments:

Post a Comment